Sunday, November 20, 2011

Alleged Discrepancies of the Bible

The complete title of this book is "An Examination of the Alleged Discrepancies of the Bible" by John W. Haley, M.A.  It was first published in 1875, and re-published in 1951.


In chapter 1, Haley begins with this quote from "Life of Christ" by Neander:


"God reveals Himself in His Word, as He does in His works.  In both we see a self-revealing, self-concealing God, who makes Himself known only to those who earnestly seek Him; in both we find stimulants to faith and occasions for unbelief; in both we find contradictions, whose higher harmony is hidden, except from him who gives up his whole mind in reverence; in both, in a word, it is a law of revelation that the heart of man should be tested in receiving it; and that in the spiritual life, as well as in the bodily, man must eat his bread in the sweat of his brow."



Here is the Table of Contents:



There are 473 pages with an index of scriptures in the back.  Lots of meat to get into.

Let me say I have not read this book cover to cover!  I use it occasionally when I run across something in my reading or study that is puzzling, to just look up a particular passage.


I will close this post with a final quote from Haley towards the end of his Preface:


"Moreover, I may be allowed to say that the more thoroughly I have investigated the subject the more clearly have I seen the flimsy and disingenuous character of the objections alleged by infidels.  

And, whether or not my labors shall result in inducing a similar belief in the minds of my readers, I cannot but avow, as the issue of my investigations, the profound conviction that every difficulty and discrepancy in the scriptures is, and will yet be seen to be, capable of a fair and reasonable solution."










No comments: